Injury Lawyers Who Truly Care

Traffic fatalities in Virginia up form last year

On Behalf of | Dec 22, 2017 | Wrongful Death

Driving safely is something drivers must do at all hours of the day. Whether it is during the early hours of the morning, a morning commute, rush hour traffic, evening hours or the late hours of the night, motorists have the duty to drive safe and follow the rules of the road. This is true even when traffic is low or no other vehicles can be seen on the roadways. By breaching this duty, a driver not only places their own life at risk but the lives of other motorists and passengers as well.

Based on recent reports, traffic fatalities in the state of Virginia are up from last year. As of now, 815 individuals have been killed in traffic accidents this year. This is up from the 705 deaths experienced during the same time period last year.

In assessing these fatalities, it was found that roughly 40 percent of these fatal accidents involved a vehicle hitting a fixed object, such as a tree or a poll. THIs means that the remaining 60 percent were caused by negligent or reckless drivers and involved two or more vehicles.

When a car accident occurs, it is often because a driver was distracted, speeding or intoxicated. These are very dangerous actions, and could easily for the cause of a fatal crash. Much pain, damages and losses are experienced following a fatal crash. Family members never expect to lose a loved one so suddenly; thus, they are not prepared to deal with the aftermath of the crash either.

The loss of a loved one can be a tremendous loss to experience. It can take much time to cope with the event; however, no amount of money can bring back the loved one lost. Nonetheless, a monetary award through a wrongful death action could help offset the emotional, mental, physical and financial damages caused by the fatal accident.

Source:, “Traffic deaths increase in Virginia,” Dec. 18, 2017