Brand Int

toll free: 800.LAW.8000

If You’ve Been Injured-We Care.
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Personal Injury
  4.  » Personal Injury FAQ

Personal Injury FAQ

Since 1979, Crandall & Katt has been helping accident victims obtain compensation for their financial losses and pain and suffering.

If you have been harmed due to the negligence of an individual, corporation or another party, we stand ready to represent you.

Call us today at 540.342.2000.

Frequently Asked Questions About Personal Injury Claims

Some answers to frequently asked questions about personal injury law appear below. You probably have questions of your own. In a free consultation, a lawyer at Crandall & Katt can answer your questions and discuss other important aspects of your case.

Do I have a case?

If you were injured or a family member was killed due to the negligence of another party, you may be entitled to claim compensation for your economic and noneconomic losses. Every personal injury case involves numerous issues involving causation, liability, insurance coverage and others, so it is not possible to provide a definitive answer to this without a careful review of the facts in your case.

Call us today at 540.342.2000 for a free consultation with a lawyer.

I was injured while riding as a passenger in a friend’s car. Can I get compensation without having to sue my friend?

If you were injured while riding in the car of a friend or family member, there may be several sources of compensation, including your insurance company, your friend’s insurance company and others. If any litigation is required, it will be directed against the insurance company or insurance companies and not your friend or family member. The same applies in a case involving an accident in the home of a friend or family member. And keep in mind that the insurance rates your friend or family member pays will not increase if you file a claim.

Why should I call Crandall & Katt before calling my insurance company?

After an accident, your first impulse after getting medical care may be to call your insurance company. But doing this could prevent you from obtaining all the compensation you deserve.

Instead, call us before you talk with your insurance company. We can take measure to protect your rights and begin the legal process. We can also tell you about the types of compensation you may be eligible for and provide other vital information about your case.

How long will it take to get results?

This depends on many factors. Be assured that we will work diligently to obtain results for you as quickly as we can. However, it is usually preferable to wait until the course of medical treatment has been completed before settling a claim. This ensures that all medical costs and other reimbursable losses are included in the claim.

What is a tort?

Black’s Law Dictionary defines a tort as a “civil wrong for which a remedy may be obtained, usually in the form of damages.” The tort concept is a basic element of our common-law system. It enables you to claim compensation if you have been harmed by the negligent or intentional act of another party. The attorneys at our firm have a comprehensive understanding of tort law and how to get results in cases involving car accidents, truck accidents and other torts. Crandall & Katt will be your strong advocate, working hard to obtain the best possible settlement or jury award.

How much does it cost to hire a personal injury lawyer?

Personal injury attorneys do not get paid unless and until there is financial recovery from the case. If a personal injury lawyer agrees to take your case, you don’t have to pay anything upfront.

What does “contingency basis” mean?

With personal injury cases, attorneys take them on “contingency.” This means the attorney is paid a fixed percentage, but only if there is a recovery. If no compensation is won, then the client does not have to pay the lawyer.

What is personal injury law?

Personal injury law deals with situations where an entity or individual acts negligently and causes harm to others. An example would be a driver who travels 15 miles over the speed limit in a residential area. A sign on the street says, “Caution Children At Play,” and the driver hits a child who is riding a tricycle.

Free Consultation – Contact Our Firm

To schedule a consultation with Crandall & Katt in Roanoke, Virginia, contact us today.